Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Recipes for the Dancer 2

I guess I've come to the conclusion that I'll feature 3 different recipes in each post: 2 that are primarily meal-based, and one that will vary: small meal, snack, dessert, drink (for all ages), or something else fun!

Breakfast (or snack): No Bake Chocolate-covered Oatmeal Coconut Squares
These look so delish.

Lunch: Avocado, Jack, & Tomato Sandwich
I picked up this perfectly delightful sandwich at Whole Foods when I was there grocery shopping for my mother and it was about an hour after my lunchtime. It was about $3.50 when I was there, but in case you can't be bothered to run through a Whole Foods for lunch, make this for lunch from whatever you have at home! I liked this sandwich because it has a perfect balance of healthy fats (avocado, organic mayo, cheese), vitamins (tomato, cabbage), protein (cheese, bread), and complex carbohydrates (bread) that keep you fuller longer and giving you the energy to work at optimum potential. I bought this sandwich vegetarian, but you can easily make it vegan by forgoing the cheese and mayo and replacing with hummus and mustard, or make it omnivorous by adding your favorite lunchmeat. Anything goes in a sandwich!
  • 1 avocado (you'll probably use half)
  • 1-2 slices Monterey Jack cheese (or any other cheese you want, but I liked this the way it was)
  • 2-3 slices from 1 slicer tomato
  • 1/3 cup shredded cabbage (or lettuce, but the cabbage lent a nice crunch and sweetness to the sandwich)
  • 2 slices whole grain bread
  • optional condiments: small slather of mayonnaise, veggienaise, mustard, pinch of salt
  • optional additions: sprouts, 1-2 slices lunchmeat, hummus 
Drink: Flavored Water and Ice Cubes
I love adding a few slices of cucumber to my water when I dance. It gives it a little taste, freshness, and desirability. Plus, I always try to fish out cucumber slices with my tongue, which causes me to drink more water. But, if you're not a flavored water fan and you like your juices/iced coffee/iced tea, you can consider making flavored ice cubes! Love lemonade? Freeze some of it in an ice cube tray - the resulting cube won't dilute your lemonade. Plus, you can easily add one cube to a cup of water and make flavored water that way. Coffee ice cubes look like a fantastic idea as well, I'm sure it would work just as well with tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment