Breakfast: Healthy Whole Wheat Yogurt Pancakes
If you don't have whole wheat pastry flour, may I suggest doing 1/2 all purpose 1/2 whole wheat? Happy Father's Day! Sorry it's a little late.
Lunch or Dinner: Ground Beef & Shallot Lettuce Wrap
This is actually my mom's creation. She doesn't have any specific measurements, so basically do everything to taste. It looks a bit like a taco with a lettuce shell, but it's much healthier, trust me.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped (pieces the size of your pinky nail)
- salt to taste (we stop here, but you can also add pepper. Don't be fooled by the simple and short ingredient list - this dish offers lots of flavor)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil (enough for a pool a little smaller than your palm)
- 5 (or so) leaves of lettuce per person (we use romaine hearts)
- extra add-ins: diced tomatoes, bell peppers, celery, onion
- pour the olive oil into a pan and heat until just before the oil starts to smoke. Add in the salt and let it dissolve evenly for a moment.
- add the ground beef and stir fry into small pieces.
- when the beef is almost cooked through, add the shallots. Stir fry until the shallots are about to turn brown and a little translucent.
- if you are adding in any colorful, raw veggies (peppers, tomatoes), take the pan off the heat, transfer the beef into a dish and stir in the veggies now before serving.
- serve in a dish with a spoon and scoop the beef mixture into each lettuce leaf as you eat it.
- *makes enough for about 3-5 servings (3 5oz servings or 5 3oz servings)
A few notes on this recipe: you can substitute in rice milk for a vegan option, just use the teeniest bit more because rice milk has more water in it. This recipe is a little tough to make (it's very picky about the microwaving and stirring), so make sure you're patient with it and always watching it. I had to microwave it for an extra 20 seconds 3 or 4 times to get the pudding to the right consistency. If you're doubling the recipe for more servings, be very careful with your measurements - I accidentally added more cornstarch once and ended up with an inedible gel!